Tuesday 7 May 2013

A harrowing we will go...

It's that time, when we can get onto the grass job and catch up with the month we lost earlier in the year through the wet and bitterly cold weather. Everywhere you look in the countryside there are tractors buzzing around ' doing' and we are no different here.
I popped up to Whitchurch in Shropshire last week to pick up a chain harrow that I bought of a man called Roy on E Bay. This is the first big thing I have ever bought on E Bay but it won't be the last.
Sad alpaca farmer that I am I am very very pleased with my newish chain harrow. so much so I took some pictures and immediately put it through its paces raking the grass in the Draycote field. It did the job fine and will serve us well over the coming years.
The grass harrow, levels up and molehills, rakes out the dead grass 'thatch' and rakes the surface of the soil allowing air to get around the new growth coming through. You are what you eat and we like to feed our alpacas mostly on grass and hay so it's really important that we grow as much good grass as we can.
This week we are fertilising and scarifying and cleaning the paddocks behind our alpacas which are all moving this week onto fresh pasture. Hey ho and away we go - only a week until shearing and two Neil the first cria hit the ground!





No comments:

Post a Comment